Sunday 11 November 2012

Unit Tutorial: The Environment

After my Unit Tutorial my Tutor advised me to keep taking test shots for different lighting situations for my final shoots and to try to keep my work to a sketchbook and scan it in to improve how I work and the development of ideas and to find photographers by myself. She also advised me to look at these photographers Hannah Collins and Benoit Aquin.

 Hannah Collins




The Fragile Feast is a series where Collins photographs the origins of Ingredients of thirty dishes used by Michelin Star Chef Ferran AdriĆ . I think that the layout of the photographs work well because the two photographs compliment each other because one photographs shows the ingredient in detail and then alongside a photograph of the landscape it came from. I like the shifting lighting between the different photographs in the series from harsh sunlight to soft overcast light because I believe it strengthens the message about where we get or food from / it being shipped from abroad. 




Benoit Aquin 



In this series "China Dust Bowl"  Aquin documents the impact of overexploitation of arable land in China. This has caused 18% of China to become these barren sand dunes. At a first look at this series I thought that this was in the American West or Africa due the desert-like conditions typically found there but once I found out it it was China I was quite shocked and that Is what Aquin wanted his audience to feel when looking at the work. I noticed that the land and the sky seem to merge because of the windswept sand bleaching the sky, this is reinforced by the hazy nature of the landscape. There almost is an element of beauty in the destruction of the landscape because of the yellow colour. 









No comments:

Post a Comment