Tuesday 12 February 2013

Waste Concept and Research

My Finalised Concept for Waste is going to about how inhabited spaces change e.g. how the Family Home has changed when events happen as children moving out, spouses dying and asking the question is this space still a family home when most of the people living there have gone? I have chosen to visually translate this idea in my mother's family home where she and her sisters have moved out years ago and my grandmother who died in 2001 and only my grandfather is left still living there. I want to photograph rooms in the house that are unused and devoid of human presence e.g. the bedrooms but also rooms such as the living room and the kitchen which are still being used.











Ricarda Roggan 









Phillip Toledano





















In this series "Days with my father" Toledano documents his father's daily life since the death of his mother. He also documents his father's mental state and his Short-Term Memory loss. I find this series to be quite emotive because of his father's mental state and as the viewer I feel deep empathy for the photographer and his subject. The series is quite intimate because of this documenting of daily life and because of camera postion and closeness to the subject. I only wanted to show Images that documented inanimate objects because of the relation to my idea. In terms of lighting I like the mix of natural and fluorescent lighting because I think that different lighting conditions give different atmospheres.   
Larry Sultan 






In this series "Pictures from Home" Sultan recreates moments from when he was growing up in his family home. The reason I wanted to reference Sultan is because of the space and not the subjects in the photographs. From this series I pickup on the strained relationship between Sultan and his father from his posture in the photographs. In terms of the lighting I feel that the natural lighting used is a little too bright and slightly starts to bleach some of the photographs in the series.

Breda Beben



In this series titled the Miracle of Death, Beban Photographs the ashes of her recently deceased husband in different rooms of their home which still held some of his possessions. This series has a very unsettling feeling to it, which is due to the presence of death being the box of ashes also this is due to the dark surrounds the box is photographed in images below.


Contextual Research 

Death: Death is the permanent end of biological function in an organism. It is a natural part of life and we will all die eventually. Death has not always been feared, In Medieval times It was more accepted to discuss because of high mortality rates. Death has been associated with many objects such as Skulls, 
Birds and Books


Memory: Memory is an Organisms ability to store, retain and recall information. There are two types of Memory, Short-Term Memory and Long-Term Memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment